Introduce your child to water in a playful and secure environment. In the infant program, a parent or carer supports the baby or toddler in the pool. This helps build confidence and supports the child's learning process.
Children will learn to:
- be familiar with having water over their face and head
- control their breath and blow bubbles
- float, paddle and propel themselves.
Our swimming teachers
Our teachers hold nationally accredited swimming teacher and water safety certificates, and specialised qualifications for teaching infants. They have current CPR and first aid certificates, and have training in safeguarding children and young people.
Swimming Lessons Information
Program and Safety Requirements
Infant and Preschool lessons
- Babies must be at least 6 months old
- Children in nappies must wear aqua nappies that are tight fitting around the thighs (you can buy them in centre)
- Parents should bring bathers during the first few lessons, in case the child gets upset and needs support in the water
All child lessons
- Bring bathers, towel, goggles (recommended, but not required) and dry clothes
- Come to the edge of the pool at the start of the lesson and directly hand over your child to the teacher
- Watch the lesson (Preschool classes)
- Stay as close as possible to the lesson (for example, by sitting in the chairs around the pool)
- Come to the edge of the pool at the end of the lesson and collect your child
- Photos are only allowed in the pool area with prior arrangement (never in the change room area). See our FAQs page for more information.
To provide a safe environment for your child, parents/carers must stay in the pool with infants for the whole lesson.
Peter Krenz Leisure Centre can develop swimming lessons on request to cater for participants with special needs.
We can custom-design swimming programs for school or community groups of all ages with intellectual or physical disabilities. The programs focus on improvement of health and wellbeing and enhance self confidence.
Our teachers are AUSTSWIM accredited, and provide a safe, social and encouraging learning environment. To find out more, contact our friendly customer service team on (03) 5446 9222
Feel free to come into the centre and speak to one of our customer service officers, or call us on (03) 5446 9222 to determine the right level for your child’s lessons. We also offer free, no obligation swimming assessments to determine which class is right for you.
For more information, or to register your interest in swimming lessons, fill in the enquiry form on this page and one of our friendly customer service team will be in touch.
Student and parent features
Swimming lessons members receive:
- One 30-minute swimming lesson per week
- 4 make-up lessons per year
- Unlimited pool access to Peter Krenz Leisure Centre outside of class times
Parents of children will receive:
- Parent-teacher feedback week (conducted 6 monthly.)
- SwimDesk parent portal to allow you to track your child’s achievements as they progress through the swim program.
Fee per lesson Fortnightly direct debit Standard Rate $16.90 $31.20
Fees effective 1 July 2019 - 30 June 2020. All centre fees and charges undergo an annual pricing review.
The cost of 48 program weeks is divided evenly over 52 weeks (26 fortnightly direct debit payments).
$16.90 per week x 48 weeks / 26 fortnights = $31.20 per fortnight.
Debits therefore occur beyond the program dates. The intent behind the 26 fortnightly debits per year is to minimise the cost impact to families by reducing the value of each debit.